Friday, May 24, 2013

#handstand365



Today is my birthday and I am pretty freaking happy right now. My heart feels light, expanded, content even. (Could it be that elusive santosha?) And this moment of happiness just seems to keep stretching, expanding, shimmering and continuing. I think that thieving a bit of time to share my happiness, in words, will not diminish the state and may even inspire you to join me in a bit of fun.

If you know me, you know that happiness is not an expanded moment for me. Rather than enjoying the state of happiness, I tend to look for all the ways in which I need to be working for the happiness, or, at the very least, reduction in suffering for others. Heck, I even have trouble relaxing. Why relax when you can write yet another letter on stopping the Keystone XL pipeline? (Yes, my husband has been singing the party pooper song to me for more than 20 years now.)

But while I am still writing letters, still working for climate justice, still looking to do my part to make the world a better place, I am doing it with a big fat smile on my face. And that is different. This current nectar can be traced back to my beautiful friend, Amanda Hale. Certainly, just being friends with Amanda makes me pretty happy but this current spiral of happy started with Amanda and her handstands. Amanda is a handstand goddess and she resolved, on her birthday, to do a handstand every day and post a picture on Facebook. I found myself really enjoying Amanda’s handstand pictures and the innocent frivolity of it all. Then I found out that Amanda was inspired by Lauren Rudick who created #handstand365 when she posted a pretty great piece on mind-body-green about handstands, birthdays, expectations and why she was going to do a handstand every day for a year.

All I can say is that Lauren’s piece resonated for me, especially her desire to “bring joy and playfulness into my life every day” and “to remember that life is about being in the moment.”

I couldn’t wait until my birthday- I started 11 days ago. I’m really having fun- it’s pretty easy and seems to be spreading like wildfire. Every day, more folks are realizing a little bit of play and a new perspective can go a long way. I say- what are you waiting for? Get out there and get your handstand on.

 


2 comments:

  1. Cierra!
    I took the training at AYC jan-feb and just randomly decided to look at your blog! I am so glad I did. I follow Lauren on instagram and love seeing her playful handstand posts. It is comforting and exciting to see that this chain linking to more people. Thank you for sharing this and enjoy your handstanding!
    Much love, Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Kathryn- sorry it has taken me so long to reply! Yes! #handstand365 is so awesome! I've been having a lot of fun with it and am enjoying Lauren's efforts as well. Seems like someone else jumps in each day- so, come on- join us!

      I hope you are well and reaping the fruit of your training each day. Sending so much love, Sierra

      Delete